Signatures in EDGAR filings are often done incorrectly so checking them carefully is important. For each SEC required signature, the name must be typed in the EDGAR filing whether using HTML or ASCII as the official filing format. Use caution when conforming signatures because if incorrect, the SEC will not consider the filing official. The implications for this scenario would need to be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- A graphical picture of the signature is acceptable in an HTML filing
- The typed signature must accompany the graphic
- Conforming the signature (using /s/) is NOT necessary in EDGAR
- Manually executed signatures (or authentication) must be kept on file by the registrant for a period of five years
- All filings must be dated to be considered official