News to Use: What is SEDAR+?
SEDAR+, the new Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) platform originally set to launch June 13, 2023, has been delayed. The CSA posted an update to their SEDAR+ plan, stating an intention to launch on July 25, 2023. The new platform is designed to better support how issuers, SEDAR+ filing agents and data consumers file, disclose and access issuer financial data and information in Canada. The 24/7, web-based platform will simplify the disclosure process for issuers and was developed to improve the user navigation experience.
Impacted Filers and Timing
At launch, SEDAR+ will be available to all current SEDAR filers. The CSA announced the following transition timeline:
- Thursday, July 20: The current SEDAR system will close and will not accept filings as of 11:00 pm EDT
- This is noteworthy as traditionally July 21 and 24 are typical days the SEDAR system would accept filings
- Tuesday, July 25: As communicated by the CSA, the new SEDAR+ platform will be available
The CSA outlined that over the next couple of years they will migrate data from legacy systems to SEDAR+ in three phases. Starting in July 2023, the following systems will migrate to SEDAR+:
- Disciplined List and Cease Trade Order databases
- Exempt market systems
- Reporting issuers lists
- Local filing systems
To gain access to the new SEDAR+ platform, onboarding requires that at least one of the following agreements must be submitted by every corporate issuer, filer, investment fund manager and filing agent.
- Electronic Filer Agreement (EFA): An EFA must be completed by every issuer that will file on SEDAR+, to create a profile and enable SEDAR+ filing submissions
- Investment fund managers are required to submit one EFA to cover all funds
- Filing Agent Authorization Form (FAAF): An FAAF must be completed by any issuer or investment fund manager using a filing agent, to grant specific filing agent permissions enabling these agents to submit SEDAR+ filings on their behalf
- For issuers or investment managers that use multiple filings agents, a separate FAAF is required for each filing agent
- Account and issuer profile information: Additional required information must be provided by each issuer and investment fund manager while registering for their SEDAR+ profile
- Some prerequisite information may include additional details that were not previously required by SEDAR
Aside from these SEDAR+ requirements, issuers will continue to process filings through their filing agent in the same manner that they have been accustomed to in original SEDAR.
Benefits of SEDAR+
The CSA highlighted new SEDAR+ features to enhance the user experience, including:
- A single point of access to all filings and disclosures, with enhanced search functionality and an integrated view of issuer information
- Secure access from a browser, removing the requirement to install a desktop application to enter filings
- Enhanced cybersecurity and privacy management
- Better data quality for regulators and the public through consolidated systems and standardized inputs
- Automated process for calculating most filing fees and simplify fee payment
- Increased the scope of filings and give registered organizations the ability to manage their accounts and users
Toppan Merrill is here to help.
If you have any questions about how to get started with SEDAR+ or looking for SEDAR+ filing services, the experts at Toppan Merrill can help. Visit ToppanMerrill.com, or connect with us via firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 844.200.2448.
Additional Resources on SEDAR+