The proposed amendments would require EDGAR filers to authorize identified individuals who would be responsible for managing filers’ EDGAR accounts. In addition, individuals acting on behalf of filers on EDGAR would need individual account credentials to access those EDGAR accounts and make filings. If the proposed amendments are later adopted, the SEC will make technical changes to EDGAR, including making available to EDGAR filers certain Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) for machine-to-machine submissions on EDGAR and retrieval of related filing information.
Comments are due 60 days after the proposed rule is posted to the Federal Registrar. A final rule is required prior to implementation of these proposed changes.
EDGAR Next Proposing Beta (testing) Period
- The SEC will open a beta software environment for filer testing and feedback on September 18, 2023. The Beta environment will be available for testing until March 15, 2024.
- Filers can learn more about the proposal and related technical changes on the EDGAR Next—Filer Access and Account Management page on SEC.gov.
- This page also contains information about future EDGAR Next-related SEC webinars. A recording of the kick-off webinar will be posted to the SEC’s YouTube channel following the event.
Contact Toppan Merrill at Info@ToppanMerrill.com to discuss EDGAR Next or questions about any of your regulatory disclosure filing needs.
- EDGAR Next home page: https://www.sec.gov/edgar/filer-information/edgar-next
- Proposed Rule: https://www.sec.gov/files/rules/proposed/2023/33-11232.pdf
- Press release: https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2023-179
- Overview of EDGAR Next Proposed API specifications: https://www.sec.gov/files/edgar/filer-information/specifications/en-api-specs073123.pdf
- Courtesy Test Cases: https://www.sec.gov/files/edgar/filer-information/en-proposingbeta-testcases091323.pdf
- Previous SEC Request for Comment September 30, 2021 – Potential Technical Changes to EDGAR Filer Access and Filer Account Management Processes: https://www.sec.gov/files/rules/other/2021/33-10993.pdf